Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Motto

My Motto

I will strive to eat the right portions

I will exercise 3-6 times every week

I will write down what I eat

I will not become discouraged

I will reach my goal

I will pray and read the scriptures for the strength that I need!!!

A friend of mine once said something very profound, "I ask for God's help in everything why not when I am trying to lose weight". He cares about us, our body's were made be Him in His image He knows that are human bodies are weak but with help all things are possible. This does still mean however that we need to do our part, prayer and guidance are part of it but we do need to be healthier.

I don't know about you but I truly had no idea what a portion was until I saw a dietitian. I didn't know that cheese and cottage cheese were a protein and that fruits have a lot of carbs. I thought the food pyramid was still made of the 5 food groups. I quickly learned I was wrong and have found a resource that can be printed out (My Plate Planner) at www.mibcn.com/pdf/plate_planner.pdf. This is excellent when teaching what a portion is and I use the Glycemic index to know what foods are the healthiest to eat and how many portions I should have a day. I now eat on a 9 inch plate and so does the rest of my family. We also strive to eat 3 servings of fruit a day and 3 servings of vegetable. This was my first step in becoming healthier.

For exercise this is what has worked for me since I can not afford a gym and if I could I don’t know when I could go. As soon as I wake up I put on the 3 or 5 Mile Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone (Use to do the 1 and 2 mile but I worked up to the 3 mile, I like these video because they also use weights). I have a little DVD player I put on top of the TV so I can exercise while the kids watch a movie. They have eventually learned that it is my time. I do this every morning Monday through Saturday. My daughter two year old daughter has perfected the word 'exercise' with perfect clarity. My husband thinks it's funny to hear her say it she will say, "Mommy you going to exercise?' or 'I exercise" as she jump up and down.

At least she doesn't say she's fat. That is one thing I have noticed parents doing, they complain they are fat when in actuality they are not and even if they are it should not be said in front of children. Children can begin to get a warped idea of what fat is which leads to much serious issues later on. Sorry, for my little tangent it is from my where I did my Social Work Practicum at a Rape and Domestic Violence Crisis Center on a college campus and in the same office with those who worked with college students with eating disorders and many started from such cases.

On to the next one, write everything you eat down, it is probably the hardest thing to do but when I do it helps me realize how many calories I am eating and where I can cut back. It truly does help.

The last thing I want to put on this is post…Is don't get discouraged!!! I know it is hard. I am one of those I want is now can of people. I say I want to lose weight I try for a week nothing happens so I give up but then I found some inspirational blogs and stories and realized that it takes time and I can do it. I have set no time limit to my goal just that I want to be 135lbs and to get there by being healthy this way I am not discouraged when a month goes by and I only lose one pound, all I say is that I am one pound closer to my goal. This way I know I will reach my goal.

I will be posting a recipe section as soon as I figure out how, so please check back soon.




No comments: